Tuesday, August 5, 2014

15 Days of Being a Book Blogger featuring Day #05: The Tear Jerker's


Have you ever read a book that made you sob like crazy?!

Maybe they've made you rage-y sob, maybe they've made you ugly sob, or maybe they were so achingly beautiful that you couldn't help but sob loads. Whatever the case, these are the books that pretty much stay with me, because of all the FEELS. I love books like these, because they are the ones that get up underneath your skin and dare you to FEEL SOMETHING, anything really and they just eat away at your thoughts and wreck your heart in a TON OF GOOD WAYS. 

These are the books that remind me why I love to read so much, in the first place. So, I thought I would share a few of my "tear jerker reads" with you. :)


The Fault In Our Stars
John Green

“I'm in love with you," he said quietly. 


"Augustus," I said.


"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 

Oh my lord. Talk about a book that wrung my heart out from the inside out and squeezed until it burst and shattered within. The Fault In Our Stars, is the first John Green book that I've read and I fell head over feet in love with this story. The story is just as beautiful and brave as the characters are revealing and inspiring. It's so hard to put into words ALL THE FEELS that this book gave me. I fully admit, I ugly sobbed like crazy throughout this whole entire book and I don't feel ashamed for it one bit. It is such a captivating story full of so much hope, love, and life that you can't help but cry from the sheer beauty of it all. And the lyrical style of writing, is just absolutely breathtaking. It's stunning, really. Passages like, "There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful," will stay with me forever because they were so beautifully written and so gorgeously illustrated. And the movie, was just as gorgeously devastating as the book was, but it was so good. I don't often get to say that about the book-to-movie adaptations, because I'm usually afraid of them for the most part, only because I don't want a book that I love and cherish to not be represented on film in the truest sense the book itself was. This is definitely one of the exceptions, because oh my lord, this was stunningly heartbreaking and just as hopeful and captivating as the book ever was. 

Far From You
Tess Sharpe
“I don't say what I'm thinking. I don't tell him how lucky he is, that he can just sit there and admit it, sheepish, but unashamed. Like it's his right. Like it's okay, because she's supposed to belong to someone like him, instead of someone like me.” 

I love that Tess Sharpe, was amazing enough to write such a gorgeous story of beautiful bravery, love, and the acknowledgement of pain. Far From You, is such an intensely captivating story that will leave you reeling from ALL THE FEELS. I couldn't help, but sob throughout this book. It's full of intense emotion, characters that will slip underneath your skin, and cause you to shiver with from all their pain and frustration, to feel with them as they take you on their epic journey. For me, personally, this isn't just a book that you read and put back up on your shelf. This is pretty much a book that you feel all the way through and it just stays with you...hauntingly beautiful like a lingering melody hanging in the air. I just feel like there should be more books like these in YA literature or in any literature genre, really. These are stories that can and do happen to people in real life and they're written so well that it's easy to forget that what you're reading is fiction. It makes them even more powerful and that's pretty amazing to me. 

I love incredibly raw poignant stories that touch nerves and makes you feel things, all kinds of things that you normally wouldn't feel on an ordinary basis. Just love...this book is so full of it in many kinds of ways and perhaps, that's probably the most beautiful thing about it.

Even In Paradise
Chelsey Philpot
"I could not tell you now, then, or really ever who I loved more-only that I did love her, and him and them all with a fierceness that I didn't know that was possible. They say there is nothing like your first love, but they have little to say about loving two people at the same time-or an entire family."

THIS BOOK. OH, THIS BOOK. I don't even know where to begin with, Even In Paradise, because this was just one of those wistful beautiful cries. This was one of those achingly beautifully written books, that makes you feel all sorts of things while you're reading it. It's hard to put into words exactly what I felt for this book and these characters and the journey each of them took. There is so much more to this emotionally intense story, than just a fleeting moment in one's life where they were caught up in such a dizzying frenzy of wanting to belong and then realizing they had come and then overstayed their welcome. It's almost hard to sum up these feelings without borrowing a line from the book itself, "I don't belong here, Sebastian. I'm just a visitor who stayed too long." It's a story of so much more than just survivor's guilt, wanting to escape the pain that you feel you're trapped in, experiencing love for the first time, traversing the waters of a friendship that you feel will always be there that's been built on half-truths and lies, and being enamored with the things that you can't have - the beautiful people - and being accepted into their circle. It's about hope, love, loyalty, friendship, discovering who you are and where you belong in life. It's a book about a precious moment in your life that you will never forget and always look back on fondly, even if it only lasted for a mere moment of your life. It isn't a story that's riddled with regrets, it's a story of what is just is and it's a beautiful one.

"It's only in hindsight that we can point, as easily as finding a town on a map, to the moments that shaped us - the moments when choices between yeses and nos determined the people we became.

I have no illusions. Even knowing everything, I would have chosen the same."

It was such a fantastic cry, that I might have to experience it all over again!


So, those are my Tear Jerker's, what are some of yours? Tell me in the comments below, because I'm extremely curious to know. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari