Wednesday, March 23, 2011

#01: Mid-Week Round Up

I promise you guys, I'm not dead yet. I'm just sick, so I haven't felt like doing much of anything the last couple of days, today being the worst but I'm going to push through and let you know that I'm still sort of keeping up. Also, I'm still stuck using my trusty ol' desktop pc, because I had to go ahead and give the okay to the geeks to send my laptop off to be fixed. Hopefully, he should come back to me late first week of April or the beginning of the second week. Keeping fingers crossed they don't have to touch the hard drive at all.

Now, onto the whole point of the post, with a couple things to play catch up with, and a sort of "this is me totally geeking out having actually won my first book giveaway," through a fellow blogger. THANK YOU, THE BOOKISH TYPE. Casey is officially epicly awesome, as I suspect she's always been and I'm very happy to have won her amazing Jane Eyre Giveaway, which included the book and some seriously ridiculous swag too. So, go check out her blog (it's just as awesome as she is) and follow, FOLLOW, follow.

When it arrives, there will be pictures posted to show off. Oh, and you really should go see the movie, I've already heard so many fantastic things about it and I simply cannot wait to see it, nor can I wait to re-read the book because it's been some years since I have and I must re-aquaint myself with these wonderful character's.

Playing catch up now.

"TEASER TUESDAY'S"


"Harlon James's been injured, and I'm not convinced he ain't about ta pass over."
"What happened?"
"I'll tell you what happened," Aunt Prudence said,appearing out of nowhere with a first aid kit in her hand. "Grace tried ta kill poor Harlon James, and he is barely hangin' on."
"I did not try to kill him," Aunt Grace shrieked from the kitchen. "Don't you tell tales, Prudence Jane. It was an accident."

( Beautiful Creatures; pages 87-88)


I found this little exchange between Wate's old great aunt's (the Sister's as they're referred to) hilarious, which is part of the reason I chose it.


Teaser Tuesday's brought to you by: RuleTheWaves


Waiting On Wednesday or WoW! "Waiting On" Wednesday (or ya know WoW!) is a nifty little weekly event, hosted by the ever so lovely Jill at Breaking The Spine that totes puts the spotlight on various new and upcoming book releases that are totally "ohmigod! i gotta have this or i'll just die," eagerly anticipated.


SUMMER IN THE CITY BY CANDACE BUSHNELLbarnes&noble // amazon
Publish Date: April 2011
Age Range: Young Adult

Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it—the crazy characters in her neighborhood, the vintage-clothing boutiques, the wild parties, and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she's finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps toward fulfilling her dream.

Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow"—as Samantha Jones dubs her— to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realizes that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined.


This week's "totally can't wait, gotta have it now" novel for me is Summer in the City by Candace Bushnell. It's the second book in her prequel series following her hit television show (SATC) that introduced the iconic character of Carrie Bradshaw and I really can't wait for this one. I've seen mixed bag reviews on the first book Carrie Diaries, but I have no doubts it's going to be just as amazing and fun as the show was. Am planning on pre-ordering this one and will be reading both the books back to back this summer, as I feel they would make the perfect lazy summer day reads. And yes, I'll totally be gushing about them both in reviews. So, definitely give the show and the books a try, if you haven't already.


WHAT'S IN MY MAILBOX #001Basically, In My Mailbox or IMM was originally inspired by Althea of Pop Culture Junkie and is now hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren where you talk about the books you received in the mail, via the stacks of your local library, recent purchases, etc.

And the totally fun thing, you don't even have to call it "In My Mailbox," because some people don't own mailboxes and for me, I usually just carrying a huge over-sized bag with me when I go to the library because I know when I come out I'll have about a stack of eight or more books. So, mine is pretty much, "what's in the bag?"

Any way, click the link above to read all about it. This week for me, I only got one or well two, if you count Beautiful Darkness the second book in a series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. But, I'm more or less spotlighting the Carrie Diaries.


CARRIE DIARIES BY CANDACE BUSHNELLbarnes&noble // amazon
Published: April 2010
Age Rank: Young Adult

The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself, and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.


And that's it for today, because I'm feeling extremely light-headed, dizzy, and nauseous. I'm going to go eat something light and lie down for a bit. See you guys hopefully, tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari