Tuesday, April 19, 2011

#001 Top Ten Tuesday

Photobucket


Top Ten Tuesday is an awesome little meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish that was created, because they're list-y type people who likes to get list-y with the books and various bookish things they like. So, go on over here to their blog The Broke and the Bookish for all the deets and check it out for yourself.

This week is sort of a re-wind type thing, so since this is my FIRST time doing this I've decided I'm going to do sort of a mash-up of some of the topics from past Top Ten Tuesday's. So, mine's gonna be three books I'll never read, two book covers I'm totally crushing on, and five fictional boyfriends. Yep, that's how I get list-y folks!


The Books I'll Never Read


001&002: The Summer I Turned Pretty + It's Not Summer Without You: The reason, because I just don't like the name of the main character, Belly. Yeah, a world of...NO! I've heard lots of good things about these books and I know it's considered probably bad forum to not read a book based on the name of a character, but seriously it ain't gonna happen folks. It's just as simple as that. I have no desire to read a book where the main character is named after a friggin' anatomy part. I'm probably missing out, because originally I did want to read them and I'm not entirely convinced this isn't the writer taking a potshot at Bella from the Twilight series (and if it is ;; snickers all around) but really...NO.

003 The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight: The reason, I will not let myself continue reading a story that is not told by the author who wrote for these wonderful character's for YEARS and was fired from doing so because she dared to write the story she felt compelled to tell. Understand I feel very strongly about this, because these books have been with me for years and I am getting tired of the comparison between these books and the Twilight series. L.J. Smith did not rip anyone off, she simply told a story with characters that some liked and other's they didn't. The Awakening = 1991. Twilight = 2005. So who drew their inspiration from whom? You do the math on that one.

I find it repugnant that anyone would dare tell an author how to write her book, instead of encouraging her to remain true to her integrity and write the story she felt compelled to write. This isn't about ships, though I could easily make it about that if I wanted, but rather for me it's about telling a beloved author whom I've admired for YEARS how to write her story and then when she didn't cow-tow to their every wish and demand just throw her out like yesterday's garbage and contract a ghost-writer to come in and finish giving them what they want.

In my opinion, The Vampire Diaries is L.J. Smith. She spent time developing the story, developing the character's, and bringing them to life on the written page. They are as much a part of her, as they are a part of my beloved collection of books that I have sitting on my shelf and it pains me to no end to have an incomplete set of books due to the ignorance and arrogance of other's so willing to squelch someone else's creativity lest they actually decide to let someone else tell their story the way they envisioned it. Done ranting now.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


Wither by Lauren DeStefano and The Girl In The Steel Corset. It's so pretty, really I just wish I was as gorgeous as she was. This is definitely book that I CANNOT WAIT to get my hands on. It looks like it's going to be an amazing read, I haven't really read much steampunk but I'm thinking this may be one that I have to splurge a little bit on. And gah, I've talked a great deal about how gorgeous I think the cover for Wither is here. Just..yes, so pretty! ♥


And Five Fictional Boyfriends For Sure


001. Jace Wayland from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Because, who wouldn't put him on their list? I don't care what kind of mood he's in, I'll take him any way I can get him.

002. Seth from the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. I loved him from the second he popped up in the book, because he's not your stereotypical good guy. But, he is a good guy and he is his own person, who is feircely in love with, loyal, and very true to Aislynn. Also patient, he's very patient and understanding. This.

003. DAMON SALVATORE. Seriously. DAMON. DAMON. DAMON. In case you didn't get it the first four times: DAMON SALVATORE from The Vampire Diaries books (+ the television series). I think that says it all.

004. Adrian Ivashkov from The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. I fell in love with him from the moment he showed up in the series and I have not stopped falling for him, and if Rose is stupid enough to well - ya know, I'm just sayin' my door's always open.

005. Back when I actually cared about the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, I would have probably chosen Edward Cullen as my fictional boyfriend AND NOT BECAUSE he sparkles either. I have officially lost my freaking mind actually admitting that one out loud, but YES IT IS TRUE. So, there it is and I completely and unabashedly will not deny it.

And that's it for my TOP TEN TUESDAY LIST-O-RAMA, what's yours?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari