Monday, July 11, 2011

UPDATE DAY #1: FOR ONCE UPON A READ-A-THON

This is just me checking in with you for the Read-A-Thon. I've already started reading Putting Makeup On Dead People, hopefully starting next book soon. Since I can't read while listening to music (too distracting) I've got my drink near by and I'll be grabbing something quick to eat here in a bit.

Update:

Total Books Read: 1.5 (Putting Makeup On Dead People + Tris & Izzie)
Total Pages Read: 167
Books Read Since Last Update:
Pages Read since last update:
Total time read: 2.5 hours
How I'm currently feeling: 92 pages into Putting Makeup On Dead People and 75 pages into Tris & Izzie. I am switching off between the two books, because one is a physical book and the other is an E-ARC from Netgalley.

Mini Challenge #001:
What is your favorite type of myth (Greek, Roman, Egyptian etc)?

My favorite type of mythology is Greek. I love reading about the ancient myths of the Greek's, their gods/goddesses, the nature of their world, the significance of their origins and relious practices, and their heroes. Their heroes are some of my favorite heroes. Persephone is one of my favorite, of the mthys. She was the daughter of Zeus and Demeter and is the queen of the underworld, who was abducted by her Hades. It's interestesting how she's associated with life and forced to live in such darkness. The other thing I find interesting, is that it's said that Zeus is the one who encouraged Hades to abduct her, knowing that her mother (Demeter) wouldn't be in agreeance. She has to be made of some really tough stuff.

Although, if I'm really honest, I just love all mythos in general.

What is your favorite book with some type of mythology in it?

Off the top of my head, I would have to say Harry Potter. There is so much mythology that J.K. Rowling pulled from, that it's amazing to read it all combined. And if I had to pick a second one, it would totally be Falling Under by Gwen Hayes. That is a book that I have sitting on my shelf that I haven't gotten to yet, but I am making it a point to get to it. In fact, I may try and include it in this read-a-thon, simply because it touches on and draws from the Persephone myhos and that is my favorite of the Greek.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari