Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Watchword featuring an Interview and Excerpt with Eve Marie Mont

So, a little something about me that you might not already know, I love anything to do with Jane Eyre. It has always been a book at the top of my very favorites list. I enjoy the mini-series, the movies, the book itself, and the new and interesting modern spins on it in literature. That's why, I was extremely ecstatic when I found out that Eve Marie Mont was releasing her modernized version of it in the form of a young adult novel called, Breath of Eyre. From the moment I read the summary on Goodreads and realized later that it was also one of the books featured in the Class of 2k12 I went nuts sort of fangirling this book and telling everyone that I came into contact about it, that they wouldn't want to miss it, even sent in a request to Kensington for an ARC of it and actually received one.

The cover of this book is so pretty and purple, the summary looks like it's going to be an amazingly clever and richly compelling (passionate) modern take on a classic that I simply adore, and it involves time travel. It seriously had me from hello, I want to visit those beautiful Gothic mansions with Emma and experience falling in love for the first time with just a "breath of Eyre." Besides, the author is super sweet too. I will definitely be featuring her later as we get closer to the release date in a "book spot" for Class of 2k12, so be on the look out for that. She graciously answered a couple of questions that I had and I'll be posting those along with some other goodies, hopefully. But, for now, I have a mini-interview and a small excerpt from the book that she was awesome enough to share with us.


❝The Watchword Featuring❞

Eve Marie Mont


Can you tell us a little bit about your upcoming book, without giving too much away?

Emma Townsend is a scholarship student at an exclusive all-girls prep school, but she’s never really fit in. She finds solace in the novels she reads in which the heroes are always brooding and handsome like Edward Fairfax Rochester in Jane Eyre. On a fateful Halloween day, Emma has an embarrassing encounter with her childhood crush. Humiliated, she wishes she could just disappear. Fate steps in to help. Transported during a lightning storm, Emma finds herself living in the world of Jane Eyre, working as a governess for the mysterious Mr. Rochester, and falling in love for the first time. But then she discovers a secret that makes it impossible for her to stay. As she travels back and forth between worlds, torn between two different identities and lives, Emma struggles to find her place, her voice, and ultimately her own destiny.

Why did you choose Jane Eyre as the book Emma gets lost in?

Ever since I first read Jane Eyre in eleventh grade, it has remained my favorite book, one I return to again and again and that never loses its fascination for me. I’ve never found another story with such a restrained yet passionate romance. Jane is the ultimate heroine: strong, intelligent, moral, and unafraid to speak her mind. I knew I wanted my protagonist, Emma, to step into her shoes as she awakens to first love and discovers her own strength of character. Thornfield and the rugged moors beyond provide the perfect backdrop, and then, of course, there’s Rochester. Need I say more?

What's your current favorite book and your favorite childhood book?

As a current favorite, I’d have to say Jandy Nelson’s The Sky is Everywhere. The writing is gorgeous, more poetry than prose, and the characters are so real and lovely and broken. I want to live in Lennie’s quirky country home, sit on that breezy front porch with Gram, have breakfast with Uncle Big, lie in that beautiful rose garden, sleep in the forest bedroom, and kiss Joe Fontaine. The most miraculous thing is that a book about love and death could be so funny. My favorite childhood book is The Secret Garden. I love Burnett’s moody descriptions of the moors, the Gothic house Mary is banished to, the garden that transforms from an overgrown reminder of loss to a healing place of love. The characters are all so rich and rounded. I love watching Mary and Colin grow as the garden transforms around them.

Can you share a brief excerpt from A Breath of Eyre?

Sure! Here’s a teaser in which my protagonist, Emma, discusses her research paper on Jane Eyre with her English teacher. If it’s not obvious, she has a huge crush on him.


❝Excerpt from A Breath of Eyre❞

I sat down across from Gallagher, catching a faint whiff of his evergreen cologne. My palms began to sweat, and my tongue dried up.

“Jane Eyre,” he said, a sigh in his voice. “Did you know it was one of my favorites?” His eyes were hooded, lovely and deep. My chest grew tight. “It’s achingly romantic, isn’t it?” All I could do was nod.

The book was achingly romantic. I got a pang in my chest just thinking about it. Briefly I recalled the scenes in which Jane and Rochester get to know each other, their chemistry palpable, their dialogue sizzling. But as I stared across at Mr. Gallagher, willing my tongue to speak, I couldn’t think of a single thing to say, let alone something witty and charming that would make him love me forever.

But what if he saw beyond my awkwardness and knew what was in my heart? What if our age difference didn’t matter to him? Nor the fact that he was my teacher?

Rochester had been Jane’s employer, and that hadn’t kept them apart. What if Mr. Gallagher returned my feelings but couldn’t express them because… well, because it was illegal?

God, I was such an idiot.



Thanks so much for the interview, Susan!


❝Watch The Trailer❞



EVE MARIE MONTEve Marie Montlives with her husband, Ken, and her shelter dog, Maggie, in suburban Philadelphia, where she teaches high school English and creative writing. Her debut women’s fiction novel, Free To A Good Home, was published by Berkley Books in 2010.


Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook



Definitely don't miss out on this amazing book and please be on the look out for my review coming soon. I'm actually waiting to post it, until closer to the release date, which won't be too long from now. I'm thinking it's April 1st, if I'm correct in my assumptions.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me and my book here, Susan! I'm so glad Kensington sent you an ARC and hope you enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari