Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

GAYLE FORMAN
Her name is Gayle Forman and she loves to write young adult fiction. I believe those two things are pretty much all you really need to know about her. Oh, and the fact that she writes these amazingly beautiful books that will rip your heart out and leave you sobbing for more.

So, just go out and pick up your own copy of If I Stay BEFORE you sit down to read Where She Went. To watch the trailer of this amazing book or read an exerpt go here.


WHERE SHE WENT BY GAYLE FORMANBook Review For: Where She Went
By: Gayle Forman
Publish Date: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group (USA)
Format: Hardcover, pp 208
Age Range: Young Adult
Purchase From: b&n // amazon
It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


Summary taken from: Goodreads

First I would like to thank both Gayle Forman and her publishers for the digital advanced copy of this book that I obtained through NetGalley. I was truly excited the moment that I received the little email notification in my inbox; I think I sort of scared the rest of the patrons in the library that day.

I feel like I need to talk about If I Stay for a minute, because it was such an emotionally heartbreaking beautiful story that was told completely through Mia’s eyes. It was her world, her story that she had to tell. And with Where She Went, the hat sort of tips to Adam and we finally get to see “where he went” in all of this.

It’s strange seeing the title Where She Went, when in my opinion, so much of the book was where he went, where Adam Wilde went when Mia left and how he found himself on a downward spiral slogging through his wasteland of heightened emotions and anger, grappling with the loss of her, falling out of love with the joy and electricity that his music once gave him, fighting with his band, dealing with being a famous rockstar and the obnoxious L.A. tabloids that he’s become fodder for.

It was easy connecting with Adam and his pain, because I felt it with him. His despair, that aching emptiness that he felt; I felt it with him too and it hurt. It was easy to see how he had become so angry, a ball of frustration that was wound so tight he was about to snap. But amidst all of the sorrow and the pain, there was a tiny sliver of hope lying just below the surface. It was sort of a breath of fresh air, a breath of life.

I love the beautiful job that Gayle Forman did, in the way she so eloquently wove the past and the present together, piecing them just so that you could see how Mia’s devastation and pain reflected in Adam’s own pool of sorrow. What’s so wonderful about both If I Stay and
Where She Went is the fact that both of these books were written differently and could each be read as a standalone easily.

But, if I were you, I would read them both honestly. Start with Mia’s story in If I Stay and then finish with Adam’s in Where She Went. You will not be disappointed, I promise. I know this review is a lot shorter than most of mine, but I really feel like this book truly spoke for itself and that's why I had no problem giving four stars and just a simple review because it's a simple story beautifully told.


Photobucket

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari