Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ARMCHAIR BEA DAY 2: BEST OF 2012

Photobucket
Design by: Nina Reads


Since I was a little busy helping a close family friend out by taking her to and from her chemotherapy appointment yesterday, I'm playing catch up a little bit with Armchair BEA today. Yesterday's topic was the Best of 2012, so I thought I'd share my list of favorites read so far this year and hopefully if you haven't read them yet, you'll be inspired to pick a copy of them up and read the awesome that I've enjoyed so far!


ARMCHAIR BEA DAY 2:

BEST OF 2012


Illuminate
by Aimee Agresti
Publisher: HarperTeen

Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.

As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?

This was one of my FAVORITES that I read and Aimee is such a sweetheart to talk with. You can see my review for the book here.

Pandemonium
by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins

Lauren Oliver captivated readers with Delirium, the first book in a thrilling dystopian trilogy in which Lena Haloway dared to fall in love with Alex and escape the cure, the government-mandated procedure that renders a person immune to the disease of love. Lena and Alex staked their lives on leaving their oppressive society, but only Lena broke free.

Pandemonium continues Lena’s gripping story. After escaping from Portland, Maine, Lena makes it to the Wilds and becomes part of an Invalid community, where she transforms herself into a warrior for the resistance. A future without Alex is unimaginable, but Lena pushes forward and fights, both for him and for a world in which love is no longer considered a disease. Swept up in a volatile mix of revolutionaries and counterinsurgents, Lena struggles to survive—and wonders if she may be falling in love again.

Full of danger, forbidden romance, and exquisite writing, Lauren Oliver’s sequel to Delirium races forward at a breathtaking pace and is sure to appeal to fans who crave the high-stakes action of The Hunger Games and the bittersweet love story of Romeo & Juliet

I will read ANYTHING that Lauren Oliver writes, it doesn't matter what it is, because I know it's going to be AH-MAZING! My early review for it is here for your viewing pleasure.

Hemlock
by Kathleen Peacock
Publisher: HarperTeen

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.

This was truly one of the most interesting, thrilling, exciting, and captivating novels that I've read so far this year. I fell in love with the original spin and intriguing characters that Kathleen Peacock created. Plus, I really enjoyed getting to talk with her via email, she is absolutely a sweetheart. I loved this book so much that I recently held a giveaway for an extra duplicate copy of an ARC along with some amazing swag and "mystical" purple nail polish! You can see my review here.

When You Were Mine
by Rebecca Serle
Publisher: Simon Pulse

In this intensely romantic, modern recounting of the greatest love story ever told, Romeo’s original intended—Juliet’s cousin Rosaline—tells her side of the tale.

What’s in a name, Shakespeare? I’ll tell you: Everything.

Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy… and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.

Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends.

I loved this book so much, that I puchased an e-copy of it to gift to my best friend Molli @ Once Upon A Proluge because I knew that she would love it just as much as I did. It was such a beautifully compelling and sensitive read that would be perfect for a great summer read. You can see how much I loved it here by reading my review for it.

Breaking Beautiful
by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Publisher: Walker Childrens

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.

Breaking Beautiful broke my heart in so many good ways that it definitely left a lasting impressing on me. It's a beautifully told story of love, abuse, shame, and forgiveness told from such a compelling realistic stand point that it would grip anyone's heart in the palm of its hand. You can see my review for it here.

What are some of your best of 2012?

8 comments:

  1. When you were mine looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hug this post!  I still need to read the copy of When You Were Mine that you sent me.  And Hemlock and Illuminate - YES.  Hemlock definitely made my list.  : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suz @ A Soul UnsungJune 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM

    When You Were Mine is such a great book, you'd really love it. Or at least, I hope that you like it as much as I did. I can't stop gushing about it or recommending it as a perfect summer read. :)

    Thanks, for stopping by the blog. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suz @ A Soul UnsungJune 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

    Dude, I want to like hug you! *g* I can't wait until you read When You Were Mine, because I definitely want to discuss it with you for sure. I always love talking about books with you. I noticed that Hemlock made your list, I still need to comment on it. lol. But, that will come in good time tonight. 

    I just got back a little over twenty or thirty minutes ago, from my friend's chemotherapy treatment. Just one more this month (tomorrow) and then she'll have three more treatments next month. They're pretty heavy duty, but she seems to be doing alright for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read any of your picks - BUT most are in my TBR pile.

    Thanks for participating.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Lauren Oliver writes just beautifully - i like to read anything she writes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squee! Hemlock has been on my list forever! So many good books are coming out right now! And I'm excited that I'm on some lists out there! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, always good to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also enjoyed Pandemonium. Illuminate looks good too though. Thanks for sharing! Tattooed Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
GoodReads Amazon Barnes and Noble LibraryThing Shelfari